With its gold-plated peacock sculptures, decorative metallic knick-knacks, and overlapping Art Nouveau patterns, this revamped Budapest cafe and restaurant celebrates the opulence of Hungarian design from the turn of the 20th century.
Dating back to 1885, the neo-Renaissance building formerly known as Olof Palme House in the city centre park of Városliget has finally reopened its doors to the public after many years of neglect.
Following a painstaking two-year refurbishment, the building has been renamed The House of Millennium in honour of the National Millennium Exhibition hosted there in 1896. One of the most memorable collections from that year was produced by world famous Hungarian manufacturer Zsolnay Porcelain, thanks to the deep green hue of the eosin glaze.
Designer Kissmiklos borrowed the same green colour as the central feature for the refurbished restaurant and cafe. In a nod to the 1896 collection, he also reinterpreted a gigantic Zsolnay Art Nouveau vase. The ceramics in the space were made in collaboration with the craftsman whose works historically adorned the walls of this space.
In addition to the cafe and restaurant, The House of Millennium also features an interactive exhibition on the history of the building and the city park, and an outdoor rose garden.