A new animation is peeling back the process of building Prague’s distinctive Charles Bridge.
Construction on Charles Bridge started in 1357 and lasted for half a century. Originally known as the Stone Bridge, it replaced the 12th-century Judith Bridge, which was flooded in 1342. The structure, which crosses the Vltava River was eventually renamed in 1841, and was essential in connecting Prague Castle to the city’s old town, while also facilitating trade between eastern and western Europe.
With its 16 arches, the bridge spans over 515 metres, requiring the labour of dozens of stonemasons, bricklayers, blacksmiths, ropes-men, clay men, day workers, and administrators.
Made by educational initiative Engineering and Architecture, the video takes viewers through the stages of construction, from the building of the pillars, to the coating of the final stone layers.