Snow patrol: Russian director to open war-themed ski resort

Snow patrol: Russian director to open war-themed ski resort
Scene from Burnt by the Sun 2: Citadel (2010, dir. and starring Nikita Mikhalkov)

23 June 2016

Oscar-winning Russian film director Nikita Mikhalkov thinks conventional ski resorts don’t feature nearly enough tanks. That’s why he has decided to open one where you can imagine you’re in the midst of war.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the resort and education centre will feature “battlefield” exteriors from war films, including his film Citadel (2010), fake tanks and barbed wire.

“We came up with the idea for a ski resort, related to the film Citadel and the general image of war,” The Hollywood Reporter cites Mikhalkov as saying to Russian news agency Rambler News Service. “Ski slopes will be located on an imitated battle field, marked with barbed wire, but it will be made of rubber. [...] There will also be burnt tanks.”

The filmmaker claims that the resort, which will be located close to the city of Nizhny Novgorod, will be ideal for those that want to ensure a patriotic upbringing for their children. His plans will be partly funded by the government, with 20 per cent of the $110 million budget coming from regional authorities and the other 80 per cent from private investors. You’ll have to wait between three to four years to sample the treacherous slopes, although based on Mikhalkov’s failed attempt to open a patriotic fast food restaurant, you could be waiting even longer.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter