Join this curated series of workshops, talks and portfolio reviews led by leading photographers and industry experts in partnership with Metro Imaging to kick off the New East Photo Prize 2018 exhibition.
Tickets to the New East Photo Weekend also include entry to our panel discussion Zine Culture and Self-Publishing in the New East on Friday 12 October, 7–9pm.
The New East Photo Weekend brings together photographers and industry experts to share their experience and ideas with emerging practitioners. The programme is an essential “how-to” guide to becoming an independent member of the professional photographic community, and champions excellence from across the New East.
You’ll also have the opportunity to explore the New East Photo Prize 2018 exhibition and the work of this year’s finalists in depth.
The dynamic series of events includes:
• Talk: Navigating the photography industry and overcoming failure as an emerging photographer with Steve Macleod, director of Metro Imaging and New East Photo Prize 2018 judge.
• Panel discussion: How to develop your “travel snaps” into photo stories, build genuine relationships with the places you shoot, and find fixers and pitch travel photography to editors with Liza Premiyak of The Calvert Journal and Max Ferguson of Splash & Grab and PORT Magazine, and photographer Elena Heatherwick.
• Workshop: Making the most of your images with re-touching and technical Photoshop skills led by a Metro Imaging master printer.
• Talk: The journey to becoming an award-winning photographer with Michal Siarek, who will present his project and photo book Alexander, winner of the inaugural New East Photo Prize 2016.
• Panel discussion: Advice to emerging photographers from Ekow Eshun, Creative Director of Calvert 22 Foundation, Carole Evans, Senior Lecturer in Contextual Studies at Ravensbourne University and Founder of Portrait Salon, Steve Macleod, Max Ferguson, and more.
• Drop-in portfolio review sessions throughout the day.
• Networking and drinks to wrap up the day.
The full programme, schedule and list of participants will be announced soon.