Dine in the dark at this revolutionary restaurant in Sofia | The Escapist

The Escapist

Where?

Sofia, Bulgaria.

What?

Fine dining can be a nerve-wracking experience. Self-conscious outfit checks, obligatory Instagram photoshoots, distracting glances at neighbouring tables, and flashy notifications popping up on overly-bright screens, all while trying to entertain your dinner partner and enjoy your meal. Around 80 per cent of the information we have about our surroundings comes from what we see. At Tenebris, you step into the enigmatic wonders of the other 20 per cent. Picture yourself digging into a state-of-the-art five course menu, paired with an impressive drink selection — all while sitting in absolute darkness.

When you switch off the lights, you awaken your taste buds and sense of touch. All of this makes for an unusual dining experience and creates opportunity for conversation — all without having to worry if you get food stuck between your teeth. At Tenebris, you are also dining for a cause: the restaurant operates as a social enterprise to provide jobs for visually impaired people in an environment with no inequalities of access. Dining in the dark simulates a dinner in the world of visually impaired people, an experience undoubtedly more powerful than data, statistics, or anonymous stories. Drop all your preconceptions, and embark on a revolutionary gastronomic journey in the dark.

What not to miss in the area:

Lose yourself in the nearby Zhenski Pazar (Women’s Market), Sofia’s oldest market. Combining stunning old urban architecture and modern pavilions, Zhenski Pazar is a bustling hub where you will find all sorts of Bulgarian delicacies. Boasting a unique sense of authenticity and history, Zhenski Pazar is located just a stone’s throw away from Sofia’s iconic Saints Cyril and Methodius Church, the Banya Bashi Mosque, and the Central Synagogue of Sofia.

— Marvel at the finest wonders of Bulgarian art of Sofia Art Gallery, the country’s most important cultural centre. Boasting an impressive collection of Bulgarian art from the 19th century to the present, the gallery has multiple branches in iconic historical venues across the city.

Text: Lucía González Mantecón
Images: Courtesy of Tenebris

Read more

Dine in the dark at this revolutionary restaurant in Sofia | The Escapist

Dine near the Dnipro at Mishi Blyahera, the restaurant reinventing Ukrainian gastronomy | The Escapist

Dine in the dark at this revolutionary restaurant in Sofia | The Escapist

A bigger splash: inside the Sofia art space in a rooftop swimming pool

Dine in the dark at this revolutionary restaurant in Sofia | The Escapist

Anyone for tennis? In Sofia, locals are finding creative ways to save the city centre