Calvert 22 and The Calvert Journal are currently hiring for a Lead Designer.
Please note that due to the high number of applications, we will only be able to respond to successful applicants. Thank you.
Reporting to: Editor-in-Chief
Hours: Full time
Salary: £34,000 – £38,000 depending on experience
Contract: Permanent, with 6 months probation period
The Lead Designer will enhance our brand, make our media platforms exciting and user-friendly, and be able to transform content ideas into multimedia experiences.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
– Work within the Calvert 22 Foundation brand guidelines to create layouts for The Calvert Journal and other platforms that reinforce the organisation’s style and voice through visual touchpoints
– Take the lead on establishing the look and feel of various interfaces, including web and mobile
– Design logos, icons and infographics
– Work with the Journal team to visualise content
– Source and produce images and video footage
– Ensure brand cohesion across all design projects
– Act as line manager for design team/web including consultants
– Inspiring, with a strong sense of visual aesthetics and the ability to formulate effective concepts
– Someone who understands editorial and can work to tight deadlines
– A multitasker, managing timelines and expectations without compromising quality
– Good team player and communicator with the ability to effectively take direction as well as delegate work
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
– 5+ years experience with transitions, animation, motion design and dynamic interaction, with a solid foundation in typography, layout and design
– Excellent visual, written and verbal communication skills, along with presentation and negotiation skills
– Up to date with the latest technologies, best practices and industry trends
– Solid proficiency with Adobe Design Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign), InVision and Sketch
– Setup and configuration of build tools such as Webpack, Gulp & Bower
– Strong understanding of editorial processes and design issues related to the production of a regularly updated online publication
To apply for this position please send your CV and a covering letter (maximum one page) detailing your suitability to [email protected]. Please state the position you are applying for and where you heard about the vacancy in the email subject box. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.